[AMPS] The Economics of QRO, or Where do all the big TXs go?

2 2@vc.net
Fri, 17 Aug 2001 05:26:50 -0700

>Downunder, where we forelock tugging subjects of the dear Queen would never
>even contemplate exceeding our 150 watt max input power limit, I once had
>cause to contemplate the economics of QRO.

A 150 watt limit is ludicrous for bands with high path loss, such as 80m
and 160m.

>Now 14-20 kW is definitely too rich for my blood, but once I was offered a
>little RCA number with push-pull parrallel 833s, free, gratis. Seems it had
>only scrap value.

Amen.  Medium Mu triodes are virtually worthless for linear service.

>... ... ...
>
>If I were to make such a move it would of course be to preserve part of our
>radio communications heritage, not the ego trip it would be for other folk.

But of course!

>But it does beg the question: Where do those obsolete QRO commercial point
>to point transmitters end up?

Here in the States, many of the now-closed FCC monitoring stations had
autotune 8171-powered HF amps.  Apparently, some wound up in the hands of
amateurs who wanted to preserve part of our radio communications
heritage.

cheerio, Baz

-  R. L. Measures, 805.386.3734,AG6K, www.vcnet.com/measures.
end