[AMPS] Need Info/Recommendation on 2M Amps over 300W

John Crovelli w2gd@hotmail.com
Wed, 22 Aug 2001 14:02:01 +0000

My local 2 meter repeater group is considering the purchase of a new Power
Amplifier for the aging repeater.  We currently run 300 watts with a Micor.

There is also a desire to increase output power....to say 500W.

Questions:

1.  Should we be looking for a tube or a solid state amplifer?  What are the
relative merits of each at 2M?

2.  Are solid state amplifiers in the 500W class at VHF clean enough,
especially when installed in an RF rich, hilltop environment, which is
shared with many other services?  Does any of you have war stories about
trying to make a solid state amp at this power level work cleanly?

3.  If a solid state amp is chosen, what are the very best output transister
devices that we should be looking for?

4.  If a solid state amp is chosen, what is the optimum power supply
voltage, 12, 24, or 48 volts?

5.  What is the downside of a 12 volt, 100 amp supply, like that powering
the Henry VHF offerings?  Anybody out there using one of these beasts, and
if so what is your experience.  Is such a DC suppy which such a high current
supply reliable?

6.  I've heard that tube type amplifiers are inherently better at VHF (2M).
Is this true or falsue and why?

7.  Anybody have experience/opinions on Crescend, Henry, TPL, or Vocom
amplifers, expecially those in the 500 watt class?  Upside/downside.

8.  Are there any other commercial Solid State VHF amplifiers out there we
should be considering?

9.  Are tube amplifiers inherently better than solid state?  Any
recommendations for a continuous duty tube amp in the 500 watt range?

OK, I've probably about worn out my welcome with all these questions.
Looking forward to some public/private responses.  After a few hours of web
research, I was left with the impression that there are very few commercial
solid state continuous duty amplifiers  to choose from at VHF.

73, John  W2GD/P40W