[AMPS] Glitch Protection

2 2@vc.net
Wed, 29 Aug 2001 04:04:17 -0700

>I have a question for the group that I have seen discussed before. It
>regards glitch protection.
>
>It has already been pointed out that fusing the HV supply line provides
>little if any protection due to the way fuses blow when faced with a
>castatrophic event. What I am considering is inserting a normally closed
>vacuum relay in the plate voltage line and triggering it with an electronic
>over-current sensor monitoring plate current. I see that the Jennings RF-4
>series relays can open as quickly as 4 msec.

//  Can the contacts break 200A at 4kV?

>Has Eimac ever done any studies delving into how fast an 8877/3CX1200/3-500
>transitions from stable to "full-on" parasitic oscillation?

//  Eimac has been somewhat silent on the subject of parasites.  I have
never seen a Eimac Engineering Bulletin on such.   QST ex-staffer David
A. Newkirk theorized that a parasitic could reach full throttle in 10 to
100 micro-seconds.   Eimac was slow in recommending a glitch resistor be
put in series with the anode supply.

>One would have
>to take into accounts that Parasitic Oscillations can range in degree from
>mild to severe. Would such circuitry add any degree of protection?

//   My guess is probably not.  However, a resistor will do the job
providing it can pass the short to ground test -- i.e., subsequently
exhibit no physical damage or change in resistance.  The beauty of a
glitch resistor is simplicity.  For instance, typical grid-current
"protection" circuits for 8877s use a 1A to 2A transistor to interrupt
the flow of grid-current.  However, during a parasite, grid-current goes
out of sight.  An 8877 cathode is capable of >50A-peak emission.  This
amount of current will C-E short a 2A transistor in short order.  Thus,
there is essentially no grid protection during a major parasitic
oscillation.  A photo of a parasitic-damaged 8877 is at Fig. 24 on my Web
site.  The amplifier that this tube came from uses grid "protection".

cheers, Bob

-  R. L. Measures, 805.386.3734,AG6K, www.vcnet.com/measures.
end