[AMPS] Problem with Henry 2KD

Wolford, Troy t-wolford@ti.com
Wed, 29 Aug 2001 12:53:55 -0500

------_=_NextPart_001_01C130B3.92611640

Let me begin by saying that I did a very bad thing to my henry!

Here is how it went.

I was preparing to tune up on 80M.  I let it warm up for a few minutes and
applied
about 10W drive.  Had the tune and load controls set to the nominal numbers
from
previous use, BUT REVERSED.  I.E.  Not enough inductor and way too much load
C.
To top this off, I had the bandswitch in the 40M position.  So I had a
SEVERE
output matching error.

Anyway, as I was adjusting the tuning, I heard a klunk (sic?) and the RF
output dropped
quite a bit.  I only had it up to about 100W out, or so.  Definitely was not
a high voltage
bang, but more mechanical in nature. Now I have to use the load control at
almost full
meshed position and about 20 - 30 counts more on the roller inductor to get
max power on
80M.  Also 1 tube lights up a lot more than the other (very noticable).  I
opened it up to
have a look under the hood, and found no charcoal or shattered components.
Not even the
smell of burnt electrical components.  The AMP still makes about 1200W on
80M, but the
large change in tuning values concerns me, as well as the tubes not being
"balanced".
I suspect that I have killed one tube and damaged the other.

1986 vintage 2KD Classic, Pair 3-500Z (Eimac)

Any help would be appreciated.

7 3
Troy
KC5KDM

------_=_NextPart_001_01C130B3.92611640

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<META NAME="Generator" CONTENT="MS Exchange Server version 5.5.2653.12">
<TITLE>Problem with Henry 2KD</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>Let me begin by saying that I did a very bad thing to my henry!</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>Here is how it went.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>I was preparing to tune up on 80M.&nbsp; I let it warm up for a few minutes and applied</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>about 10W drive.&nbsp; Had the tune and load controls set to the nominal numbers from</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>previous use, BUT REVERSED.&nbsp; I.E.&nbsp; Not enough inductor and way too much load C.</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>To top this off, I had the bandswitch in the 40M position.&nbsp; So I had a SEVERE</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>output matching error.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>Anyway, as I was adjusting the tuning, I heard a klunk (sic?) and the RF output dropped</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>quite a bit.&nbsp; I only had it up to about 100W out, or so.&nbsp; Definitely was not a high voltage </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>bang, but more mechanical in nature. Now I have to use the load control at almost full </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>meshed position and about 20 - 30 counts more on the roller inductor to get max power on </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>80M.&nbsp; Also 1 tube lights up a lot more than the other (very noticable).&nbsp; I opened it up to </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>have a look under the hood, and found no charcoal or shattered components.&nbsp; Not even the </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>smell of burnt electrical components.&nbsp; The AMP still makes about 1200W on 80M, but the </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>large change in tuning values concerns me, as well as the tubes not being &quot;balanced&quot;.</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>I suspect that I have killed one tube and damaged the other.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>1986 vintage 2KD Classic, Pair 3-500Z (Eimac)</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>Any help would be appreciated.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>7 3</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>Troy</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>KC5KDM</FONT>