[AMPS] AL1500

2 2@vc.net
Fri, 7 Dec 2001 07:57:57 -0800

>Tom says:
>
>>resistors as grid fuses
>
>If you use a resistor as a fuse, how do you guarantee the fusing
>characteristics
>(except for fusible resistors)? Even fusible resistors have enormous
>tolerances
>on them, while similar resistors from different manufacturers are likely to
>differ substantially as far as this parameter is concerned.
>
>It's very bad practice to rely on a non characterised, non guaranteed,
>component
>performance characteristic.

//  The original L-4B, SB-220, and TL-922 circuits used approx. 1mH, 1A
rated chokes in the grid to gnd DC returns.  Such chokes act as fuses
somewhat above 10A since the current envolved occasionally melts 28-gauge
Cu wire - and sucks together the Pi-wound choke.    Grid-filament shorts
are not uncommon following a 'big-bang'.   I reasoned that a 0.5 - 0.25
watt carbon-film resistor might be more frangible.  Testing showed that
it was.  In 13-years, we have had a number of reports of blown 30‡
carbon-film grid resistors, but nary a report of grid-filament shorted
3-500Zs.  /  Note:  To protect the carbon-film grid-resistor from being
tosted on 10m, an additional 1200pF or so is needed for grid bypassing./

cheers, Peter

-  R. L. Measures, 805.386.3734,AG6K, www.vcnet.com/measures.
end