[AMPS] Re: 6m amp blocking caps

2 2@vc.net
Sun, 9 Dec 2001 00:30:14 -0800

>>>This is only relevant when the two capacitors are very *different*.
>>
>>With two doorkob caps in parallel of equal value, I got a sharp dip at c.
>>80MHz.  I could repear rhe experiment if you like, Ian.
>>

>>>You then get a parallel resonance, between the lower capacitance and the
>>>self-inductance of the higher-value one.
>[...]
>

>>>But none of this applies when *identical* capacitors are paralleled.
>>>
>>//   Why not?   Is the sharp dip I see on the dipmeter a pseudo-dip?
>>
>Certainly it's real. When you connect the two capacitors together at
>each end, you make a series-resonant loop. Guessing at values, two
>1000pF caps, in series with a total of 8nH lead inductance + self
>inductance, comes out at 80MHz.
>
>But dipping the two capacitors on their own tells you *nothing* about
>their behavior in-circuit.

// It tells you that an additional resonance is in series with the anode
circuit.

>However, you can make some real measurements using an MFJ or Autek SWR
>analyzer:
>
>* To look for a series resonance, connect the components in series with
>a 50 ohm resistor and sweep the frequency - SWR dips to 1 wherever the
>total reactance is very low compared with 50 ohms.

//  To simulate the condition caused by paralling two blocking caps, they
need to be measured in paralleled.

>* To look for a parallel resonance, connect the components in parallel
>with a 50 ohm resistor and sweep the frequency - SWR dips to 1 wherever
>the total reactance is very high compared with 50 ohms.

//  A garden-variety dipmeter can be used to find the resonance.   The
solution is to use one DC blocker of sufficient current rating.

>A network analyzer it isn't, but it does show what kind of resonances
>you have,

//  At VHF, only with a zero-L, 50‡ resistor.

> and where they are.

//  So will a dipmeter.  According to what Mr. Rauch said, I would trust
a dipmeter to find a VHF resonance.
>--
cheers, Ian

-  R. L. Measures, 805.386.3734,AG6K, www.vcnet.com/measures.