[AMPS] Rotary Inductors in Amps

2 2@vc.net
Wed, 12 Dec 2001 10:39:51 -0800

>What qualities should someone look for in a Rotary
>Inductor intended to be used in an amplifier Tank
>Circuit?

€  Keep in mind that the tank L carries approx. the [DC anode current x Q
]amperes of   RF circulating current.  Thus, the tank for a pair of
3-500Zs carries  0.8A x approx. 10 = 8Arms pf RF - which is equivalent to
c. 30ADC in terms of conductor heating.  This is likely why Heath used
two, paralleled 15A rated contacts for the SB-220 bandswitch.
-  When I build an Ugly amplifier, I drill 3mm holes in a grid pattern
under the tank L to provide air cooling from the pressurized chassis.

cheers, Bill.

-  R. L. Measures, 805.386.3734,AG6K, www.vcnet.com/measures.
end