[AMPS] Transformer Current ratings

David Kirkby drkirkby@ntlworld.com
Sat, 15 Dec 2001 19:33:05 +0000

"Ian White, G3SEK" wrote:

> >I'd would be _very_ interested in such a design :)
>
> Me too!

There was a design for a high voltage (~ 2 kV) SMPS in an old issue of QEX - the
ARRL's technical journal. I don't know if it is possible to search (or perhaps
even find the article online at the ARRL web site). I can't recall the exact
power level, but it was only a couple of kW or so. This was about 5 or possibly
10 years ago.

I did contemplate trying to design a larger (10 kW) SMPS, but came to the
conclusion it would be a nice thing to do if my employer was paying for the
inevitable blown up components. One can't go too far wrong with a simple
transformer/rectifier, but I think building a switch mode supply is a different
matter altogether.
--
Dr. David Kirkby Ph.D,
email: drkirkby@ntlworld.com