[AMPS] HV Pole Pig Transformers

jstrohm@texas.net jstrohm@texas.net
Wed, 19 Dec 2001 14:10:45 -0500

And as a point of information, a Dahl transformer of this size runs around $500 or $600, with shipping around $50 or $60 in CONUS.

I'm cheap and I like to get my hands dirty, so for this price I might or might not rewind a pole pig.  There's a lot to be said for being able to order a custom transformer wound to EXACTLY the right voltage, and then being able to drop it into the power supply a few weeks later -- or days, if it's a stock item. $600 is not that expensive if your time is worth anything at all to you.  I figure it takes me 6 hours to rewind a filament transformer, spread over several days.  For the sake of argument, I always price myself at a dollar a minute -- so you can see that it adds up fast!

Jim N6OTQ

PS Rich was testing that 15 KW level into a dummy load....right?

Rich 2@vc.net said:

//   Buy a new Peter W. Dahl with the right V taps.  His 69-pounder will
do c. 15k out on SSB using an 8171 or 8170.  Photos r on my Web site.

http://mail2web.com/ .