[AMPS] HV Pole Pigs ++

Steve Katz stevek@jmr.com
Fri, 21 Dec 2001 07:25:58 -0800

> Well the pole pigs I have aren't that big.  Mine are all either 5 or 10
> KVA, perhaps the occasional 3 KVA unit.  But these are disappearing
> quickly.  With upgrades to the distribution system around here during the
> past few years, 25 KVA is pretty much the smallest size they're putting a
> pole now. And those are with 16 KV primaries.
	[Steve Katz]  I've never even seen any that small.  The pole pig
mounted directly behind my home is 96kVA and is quite small (exterior).  The
local utility company, Los Angeles Dept. of Water and Power (DWP) tells me
even these are obsolete, current stock is larger, typically 600A x 240V =
144kVA, that's to supply four residential homes.  I don't know what they'd
do with a 3-5-10kVA unit, that would barely supply my electric cooktop,
which is 240V @ 40A = 9.6kVA, and just one appliance.  I can hold a 3kVA
transformer, a la the one in the Alpha 87A, in the palm of my hand.
-WB2WIK/6