[AMPS] SB-220: Operate/Standby Switch

Lamb k7fm@teleport.com
Mon, 5 Feb 2001 06:18:38 -0800

Peter says:

"You know that. I know that. Probably everyone here
knows that. Now convince the bean counters who
generally have more say about what goes on in
industry........oh, and the 'pointy haired bosses '
too."

I know at least a couple of friends who were previously involved in
electronic and other businesses.  In each case, they used the best
engineering and highest quality components and refused to sell the product
until it was right.  And, if a product came back because of some problem,
they would fix it and install the upgrades - even after the warranty was
expired.  They treated their help first class.  In short, they did
everything we believe is "right".  They are now all out of business.  One
friend, in particular lost his life savings in his company and never
recovered.  He produced high end audio equipment, including amplifiers,
speakers and pre-amps.  At the time, it was considered one of the finest
systems on the market (and less money than the other top rated systems).

At one point, he was offered a fairly large sum of money to sell the company
to a low ball mass producer - just for the name and image.  He would not
compromise and refused to do so.

There is no black and white.  Had he been more ruthless, less concerned
about quality and more concerned about short term bottom line, all of his
employees might still be working for the company.  Should we aspire to be
someone like him or someone who can make a buck.  More people admire Bill
Gates than my unknown friend.

If we look at the most successful amateur amplifier company, we might find
areas where corners are cut or where designs might be improved - but it is
still in business and growing and their products bring joy to a lot of
amateurs because they are affordable.  Since they are still in business, the
parts are available.  And, their employees continue to work.

It is easy for us to second guess or be critical of any particular design,
but success of the company is really measured only one way - bottom line.

Off the soap box and on to work.

73,  Colin  K7FM