[AMPS] SB-220: Operate/Standby Switch

Peter Chadwick Peter_Chadwick@mitel.com
Tue, 6 Feb 2001 08:50:29 -0000

Rich says:

>Consider that the price of a 25w rheostat is under $6.

Yes. Which is why in a home brew amp, you'd fit one,
without argument.

In the commercial world, $6 on a component is at least
$12 on the ex-works price. In the case of a variable or
 preset control, where testing and adjustment is
required, add another $5. These are the real costs you
find in a production environment.

So all of a sudden, our filament rheostat is costing $20
plus sales tax to the end user.  Similar sort of add ons
happen for step start, increased cooling for the tank
circuit and so on. Very soon, you're talking of the $5k
plus amplifier. Which is part of the explanation of why
Uncle Sam pays so much for equipment. Other parts
of that are procurement practices, but that's another
story.

Nobody goes bankrupt in the long term; but there's a
limited market for Rolls-Royces, as Colin's friend found.
Ham amps are meant for the average ham, and of
necessity, they get cut down to what the ham will pay.

Which is why I'm so keen on home brew.....

73

Peter G3RZP