[AMPS] SB-220: Operate/Standby Switch

Wt8r@aol.com Wt8r@aol.com
Tue, 6 Feb 2001 10:23:06 EST

Peter_Chadwick@mitel.com writes:

> The other side of the coin
>  is that GI Joe in a fox hole somewhere in the back of beyond overseas, with
>  shells arriving all around him can't go to Walmart if he's stuck for a
>  hammer....
>

>  That's how the costs build up for mil stuff, and that's why COTS
(Commercial
> Off
>  The Shelf) is popular in some quarters.
>
>  Sorry to go on - I've had enough of dealing with mil procurement to last
the
>  rest of my life.........when you're the sole source, it's a lot of grief
you
>  don't need!
>
>  73
>
>  Peter G3RZP
>  ============================================================
Peter,

You really DO understand the Military Procurement system.

I worked for the Air Force for 30 years as an electronics engineer.  I
designed & built custom instrumentation systems to test new equipment that
contractors were trying to sell to the Government.

It was always more important that the paper work be filled out correctly than
whether I got the part or not or how quickly.  One bone-headed Major insisted
that I order 12   parts, one at a time (cost $1.29 each), when processing the
form alone cost approximately $75.00.  Another time some woman didn't like
the supplier that I had picked, so she told ME to find another supplier.

And then the Senators are the first ones to point out the excess cost of such
items.

Cheers,

Dave, WT8R