[AMPS] Fan motor capacitors

Steve Eldridge steve@g8izy.freeserve.co.uk
Wed, 7 Feb 2001 08:13:57 -0000

I've found the recent discussion on fan performance, pressures and flow
rates very interesting and informative.

My question concerns the capacitors that are necessary to run these fans
on single-phase mains.

I have several large(ish) fans, a couple of which specify a capacitor of
3.2 uF on the rating plate. The others don't mention the  capacitance
required, but start and seem to run OK on 3 uF.

Is the capacitance needed just to kick the motor off in the right
direction, or does it's value have any effect on the power that the
motor produces when running? I have plenty of suitable caps and can
increase/reduce capacitance in 1 uF steps.

Sorry, but electric motor theory is not one of my best subjects!

Thanks and 73 Steve G8IZY.