[AMPS] Roller Inductor v. Bandswitch

Lamb k7fm@teleport.com
Wed, 7 Feb 2001 02:19:46 -0800

One other possibility  - which has not been mentioned - is a fairly simple
approach.  Ask yourself how many bands you will really use the amplifier on.

In my case, I have about 10 amplifiers.  All are bandswitched.  I really use
amplifiers only on 80 and 20 meters, and I have separate stations for both
bands.  Thus, even though my amplifiers are bandswitching, I never switch
bands after the amplifier is installed in operation.

It would have been much simpler to build an amplifier for a single band.
Output could be a Pi-L, the rf choke would be optimized, rf layout would be
greatly simplified with a very slight increase in efficiency and I would not
have to worry about some visitor turning the bandswitch (since I really
never check the tuning as I never move it).

It is an excuse to build more amplifiers.

The downside is that the market value of the amp is almost zero - but since
I never sell anything I acquire anyway (except old cars), that should not be
a big deal.  Leave instructions on the inside of the cabinet to convert the
big amp to cb after you go QRT and the significant other can come out ok
despite losing someone who has coffee with her in the morning before
retiring to the hamshack and then returns just in time for dinner.

73,  Colin   K7FM