[AMPS] runaway amp.

dan hearn dhearn@ix.netcom.com
Thu, 22 Feb 2001 11:22:32 -0800

Another thought: The problem seems to be heat related. Create a source
of hot air which can be directed on various components while the amp is
creating dots from your keyer into a dummy load. If I understand your
note the amp would work properly under this condition. I have thought a
bit about how to create such a narrow stream of hot air which can be
safely applied to components with HV on them. A hair drier or shrink
tubing heater comes to mind but you really need a narrower stream.
Choking down either to a small piece of insulating hose would overload
the blower and heater in either. You might intercept a small portion of
the hot air output with a funnel into a piece of hose or non metallic
plastic tubing.
  Possibly a better way would be to put some power into a 100-200w
hollow tube type power resistor and blow air thru it into a short hose.
If you have an air compressor, you have the air source. Of course, the
airstream, unheated, could be used to selectively cool various
components or a can of component cooler could be used
  Just some thoughts, 73, Dan, N5AR