[AMPS] Re: 3 phase Europe

paul apollo_six@btinternet.com
Tue, 2 Jan 2001 23:24:28 +0000

It is indeed single phase - what a magic term!

However where my home used to be it was 3 phase but that's another story
:)
All I can say is that one day the distribution box blew with a
tremendous bang up no doubt caused by ingress of moisture, the same
problem that afflicts older open frame transformers but that's another
story too :)

Paul

In message <200101022319.f02NJJn06309@smtp.Stanford.EDU>, George T.
Daughters <gdaught6@leland.stanford.edu> writes

>On 2 Jan 01, at 22:33, paul wrote:
>
>> In Europe one phase of a 3 phase 4 wire supply to Neutral (the 4th
>> wire derived from a star connected 3 phase distribution transformer)
>> is indeed 220 - 240 volts.
>
>So, the electric company is pumping out 3-phase electricity.  Fine!
>Now from a single wire... "one phase" as reported above... to
>"Neutral" (not ground!) is single phase at your receptacle!  The
>"distribution transformer" may be dealing with 3-phase, but at your
>home I'll bet it's "single-phase"!
>
>73,
>

>George T. Daughters, K6GT
>
>--
>FAQ on WWW:               http://www.contesting.com/FAQ/amps

To try and not succeed is better than not to try at all (Anon)