[AMPS] Band Pass Filters for Solid State Amplifiers

Radio WC6W wc6w@juno.com
Wed, 03 Jan 2001 12:48:55 EST

On Mon, 1 Jan 2001 20:00:40 -0800 "w7ry" <w7ry@netzero.net> writes:

>I am searching for an alternative for the low power harmonic filters
that
>are utilized for solid state amplifiers.
>

>RFElectonics has a kit for their amplifiers but are rated for 500 watts
or
>if you are careful, 800 watts.
>
>I am looking for something that would handle 1500 watts RTTY.
>
>What about using "doorknob" caps instead of 1000 volt silver mica caps
>?
>
>What about coax cable stubs ?
>
>Most solid state amps are run in push-pull so second harmonic is usually
not
>a problem.  3rd harmonic and 5th harmonic are the killers.
>
>Thanks and 73!
>Jim W7RY

Hi Jim,
   Yes, the parts do indeed "grow" at those power levels.

   I looked at the same problem with my transistor KW, under
construction, and came to the conclusion that is was just going to be too
many big parts & relays.

   That consideration plus the matching problems of a transistor output
stage has me, tentatively, settled on using a 2 section Pi-net for both
matching & harmonic suppression -- at lot fewer parts that way!

  If you must go with the separate filter approach, there are (NPO)
ceramic caps from ATC, TEMEX, & Murata that will handle the power (and
voltage) but, they are somewhat hard to come by in small quantities.

73 & Happy filtering,
   Marv  WC6W

*

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!