[AMPS] Output Pulse from ICOM 706

Will Angenent k6ndv@contesting.com
Thu, 4 Jan 2001 05:27:48 -0800

There is, for 100% sure, a "SPIKE" on the 706.
I have a Acom 2000A amp and at 35 watt input I'll get 1500 out.
When using the 706 with 35 out to the Acom, the Acom goes in Fault and you
can see the output of the Acom going well over 2.5kw and also a msg. on the
display saying input power too high.
I had the same problem with my 775DSP (early serial #) and Icom did replace
this unit (well after there warranty was ended) Tom knows all about this and
you can take his word for it.
73 Will

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-amps@contesting.com [mailto:owner-amps@contesting.com]On
Behalf Of Mike Baker
Sent: Wednesday, January 03, 2001 10:54 PM
To: W8JI@contesting.com
Cc: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [AMPS] Output Pulse from ICOM 706

The subject of this string of e-mail has me paying attention as I own a
IC-706MKIIG of fairly early serial number and have never noticed a "spike"
on the leading or trailing edge of the transmitted signal on CW or SSB.
There is a "normal"amount of "overshoot" to the wave form in CW but it is
not more than about 7%, maybe.  These results are from my ole Heath IO-10
monitor scope.  In fact, untill it was mentioned on this reflector, the only
rig I was aware of (ICOM) that had the problem big time was the 775DSP.
What is the approx length of the pulse we are talking about here??  And, as
was asked in the original note, has anyone come up with an internal "fix" to
the problem?  Is the pulse on any mode or only a perticular mode?
Thanks in advance for your time..
Mike Baker  K7DD
k7dd@earthlink.net
Peoria, AZ.