[AMPS] HV Cable

Mike McCarthy, W1NR w1nr@eecorp.com
Fri, 5 Jan 2001 23:07:52 -0500

The stuff I have is Belden 8898 10KV rubber test prod wire.  Alpha also
makes an equivalent.  8866 is corona wire for CRT anode's and is many times
more expensive.  You can find test prod wire at Mouser, Allied, Newark, or
any of the other distributors.

Mike, W1NR

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-amps@contesting.com [mailto:owner-amps@contesting.com]On
Behalf Of Bill Coleman
Sent: Friday, January 05, 2001 10:20 PM
To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [AMPS] HV Cable

Hello folks.   What are y'all using for HV cable now-a-days?   I have
gradually used up my supply of Belden 7777 (appx .25" OD,  #18) - took 20
years.  Recently used a couple spools of automotive ignition wire - also
Belden but the stranded conductor appears to be steel wire, solders OK but
fairly tuff to make a good mechanical connection because it's so 'springy'.
The other drawback is that this stuff has a tacky looking 'NAPA' label on
it!  ;-)

I've been looking at the specs for Belden 8866, specs here (all one line)

http://www.belden.com/products/Catalog/allList5.idc?tb=AHook&Z5=zT5z&Z1=zT1z
&Z2=zT2z&Z8=hook&Z3=Trade+Number+Search&col=PN&val=8866

Anybody use this stuff?  Says is has a conductive polyethylene coating on
the conductor, does this coating interfere with soldering?

Happy New Year all!   73, Bill  N2BC
Bill Coleman  N2BC
http://home.stny.rr.com/n2bc