[AMPS] viewstar amplifier

nospam4me@juno.com nospam4me@juno.com
Sat, 6 Jan 2001 10:23:05 -0800

-
About the Viewstar...
-
:>From: "w7ry" <w7ry@netzero.net>
:>It is a Viewstar....And yes, it covers 160 meters.....
:>Last one I had I sold it for $ 800.00
-
Hi Jim,
-
Compared to today's "Ebay Prices," it went pretty cheap. I'd
like to get a look/copy of the circuit diagram if anyone has
one to share.
-
:>They work good, but some have had trouble with them.
-
There are a series/generation of HF amplifiers produced in
the 80's and 90's which are similar in appearance, but
their Engineering and Production Origins are a bit vague to
me.  The Viewstar and the B&W Amplifier along with one or
two others appear similar in construction, but probably have
different roots.
Carl, km1h was reselling the B&W amplifier for a time, I'd
never heard of a Viewstar vender, and there is also a
"Palstar" amplifier..?  I would assume none of these
amplifiers lines are still in production..?
-
:>They run 4000 volts on the plate, very easy to tune, with nice Jackson
:>Brothers drives.
:>Has a squirrel cage blower and glass chimneys..
-
Were these amplifiers plagued by any the classic dual 3-500z
construction format "glitches" ... (parasitics, cooling, high
filament voltage, power supply heat) ..?
-
:>73! Jim W7RY
-
Thanks for your input Jim...
-
[sidebar]
I just found/bought an old home brew dual 813 HF Amplifier,
just because of the hand made output tank cap physical
hardware makeup.  The original builder made a really wild
low end range band switch lever mechanism which moves
a plastic square with a metal end attached to slide over and
short the two halves of a center parted surplus air variable
capacitor.
-
Just the mental work to come up with this hardware was worth
the fair price I paid.  After next Thursday, pictures of this wacky,
but well working hardware can be seen on the
http://sonic.ucdavis.edu  Amateur Radio Pages. If nothing else,
it's good for a head scratching laugh.
-
Anyway... anyone with a Viewstar Diagram to share..?
-
cheers
skipp
-