[AMPS] re: Pwr Switch AL-811

Hans Goldschmidt sm5ki@algonet.se
Sun, 07 Jan 2001 10:11:28 +0000

1-01-07 07.26, skrev measures på 2@vc.net följande:

>> Rich- you are just proving my point- no matter what the problem is, all you a
>> have is a sarcastic quip that has little to do with the real subject-
>> So- Whats your point, and what does the Cap you mentioned have to do with
>> the power switch failure?
>>
> The self-recognized amplifier "expert" supposed that the HV RF bypass cap
> is part of the 120Hz ripple filter.  Do you agree?   My guess is that he
> does not know how much inrush current passes through the switch.  Leaving
> out a stepstart is not good engineering practice.  Neither is a 1000pF hv
> bypass for a 160m amplifier.
>
> cheers, Bill

>>> I mentioned that Heath's SB-220 and Kenwood's TL-922 have the same
>>> problem.  I have spoken with numerous 922 owners who have a welded on/off
>>> switch, who turn their 922s off and on by plugging the power cord in.

>>> Bill -- do you feel that the 1000pF B+ bypass is part of the 120Hz ripple
>>> filter?

> nappropriate

>>> -  Rich..., 805.386.3734, www.vcnet.com/measures.
>>> end
>>>

>> -
>> Bill Aycock   ---   Persimmon Hill
>> Woodville, Alabama, US 35776
>> (in the N.E. corner of the State)
>> W4BSG   --   Grid EM64vr
>> baycock@HiWAAY.net
>> w4bsg@arrl.net
>>

> -  Rich..., 805.386.3734, www.vcnet.com/measures.
> end
>

> --

No Rich, using disc capacitors in power supplies is no joke. Disc capacitors
across hi voltage diodes +  rf chokes in series and decoupling the mains
lead is  to keep rf out of the diodes. Noise generated by the diodes
modulate the final and one gets wide band noise around the transmitted
signal. This goes also for switched power supplies. On 2 meters and
listening at a distance of a few kilometers there is a lot of garbage using
a IC 706 + a switched mode PS35.
Driving a linear and using a high gain beam makes the situation even worse.
Prosit de Hans SM5KI