[AMPS] Advice about what linear to buy

J. Bradshaw ac6tk@cybertime.net
Mon, 8 Jan 2001 17:23:22 -0800

| Hi Jim,  (FM W8JI)
|
| > overhauls. A small amp pushing the limits of its linearity will cause more
| > TVI and side splatter than a larger one putting out the same power, again
| > assuming similar operating modes.
|
| TVI has absolutely nothing to do with "headroom" in the PA. It is
| entirely a function of the layout and shielding integrity.

Well, certainly there are many things to do with TVI.  Often many things act
in concert, not the least of which could be the TV, or even materials not
considered active that just happen to be within the RF field including
shielding or other antennas and structures.

I'd go along with the rest though I don't really know the difference between
side splatter and up and down splatter except as different visual
representations of the same thing.

The 706 in particular may have a spur on one or more bands that is NOT
reduced when the power output is reduced, because the power is reduced
by attenuating the IF, and there is a mixer following that stage.  I do recall
seeing it on one unit at almost exactly 50 db down from the carrier at full
ouput although I don't recall the exact frequency.