[AMPS] Output Pulse from ICOM 706

Steve Eldridge steve@g8izy.freeserve.co.uk
Tue, 16 Jan 2001 00:16:03 -0000

----- Original Message -----
From: Steve <ve3tu@rac.ca>
Subject: Re: [AMPS] Output Pulse from ICOM 706

> Hi Tom, the league does publish close in IMD receiver specs but you
> have to buy the extended review of the radio. Some of the radios are
> pretty ugly close in but as you would expect the the expensive
"contest
> type" rigs are better. The 1000D and 775 are the best so far.
>
> 73, Steve
>
> Tom Rauch wrote:
>
> > Receivers are pretty poor for close-spaced dynamic range. DSP
> > based radios are generally the worse of the lot! IMO, we need more
> > pushing for close space tests, and the FT-1000MP needs a key
> > click adjustment!  They remind me of the old Heath DX100's.
> >
> > 73, Tom W8JI
> > w8ji@contesting.com

Where are we going? Backwards it would seem to me.

DSP was the way to go, the panacea to all of our Rx (& TX  problems), or
so we were told at the time....

DSP is a marvellous innovation and certainly will feature on most, if
not all, future radios we are offered by the big three. But, it is no
good if performance is sacrificed just to make the rig sell in large
numbers and to be cheaper to manufacture; especially if the reviewers
miss the problems.

What I think is needed is a rig that combines good RF performance with
DSP, without all the unneccessary 'bells & whistles' that we get
nowadays.... And definitely no full-power spikes at the start of an
over!

Rig makers- please take note!

73 Steve G8IZY