[AMPS] Two XFMR in parallel

Tom Rauch W8JI@contesting.com
Wed, 17 Jan 2001 12:21:22 -0500

> I want to connect both of them in parallel in order to have 1A RMS Output.
> What will be happen when I Connected this two transformer in parallel with
> little bit different in output voltage ???.
>
> Thanks for your suggestion,
>
> de Firson - YD1BIH

Heat will happen, and maybe failure.

It is not advisable to directly parallel two same-kind transformers,
and parallelling two dissimilar transformers is a real bad thing. The
effect, if there is any voltage difference, is like a shorted turn or
turns. The only saving grace is the heat is spread out over the
entire winding, instead of concentrated.

If you want to use them in a HV supply, just use separate rectifiers
on each and combine the dc output of the rectifier systems.
73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com