[AMPS] receivers

Peter Chadwick Peter_Chadwick@mitel.com
Thu, 18 Jan 2001 08:47:52 -0000

Tom says:

>Because of stuff in ham books, people think:
>
>1.) Folded unipoles improve antenna ground
>system system efficiency.

I know some antenna professionals who think that, too. I think it's because
there's two definitions in the text books for radiation resistance - one that's
right all the time, and one that's right under certain conditions. The other
complication is that folding the antenna raises the feedpoint impedance, which
can lead to the losses in the matching network being lower. As this gets more RF
into the antenna, the efficiency appears to improve.

If you're looking for other subject for controversy, you could also add the
other big arguable point about conjugate matching in linear amplifiers!

73

Peter G3RZP