[AMPS] Clipperton L amplifier

Ian White, G3SEK Ian White, G3SEK" <g3sek@ifwtech.com
Sat, 20 Jan 2001 00:27:32 +0000

Barry Kirkwood wrote:

>The last tetrode amp of any significance I built was almost half a century
>ago.  Used an 813 in class C.
>
>The texts at the time made much of the role of the screen in the possible
>production of VHF parasitics. Various fixes based mainly on crude empiricism
>were offered. Amongst those suggested was running the screen feed in
>shielded wire. Presumably one effect of this would be better VHF bypassing,
>as the bypass capacitors used at the time were a bit suspect at VHF. Hence I
>am not surprised to hear that a fix of a presumably VHF parasite was
>achieved as described. (e.g. See pps 22.9-10, Orr, W.I. , Radio Handbook
>19th edn 1975)

There can be a problem of parallel resonance between the screen bypass
capacitor and the self-inductance of a higher-value capacitor somewhere
else in the screen supply circuit.

For example, the self-inductance of typical 0.1uF 1kV tubular plastic
capacitor can resonate with the screen bypass in an Eimac SK-610 socket
at about 15MHz. At that frequency, the screen is effectively un-
bypassed, so HF oscillation is a real possibility - especially in an HF
amp, of course.

The cure is a series "stopper" resistor of about 100 ohms, low
inductance, between the screen bypass and the larger capacitor. This
kills the parallel resonance completely, so the screen bypass works
correctly. To avoid introducing DC resistance (which increases the
source impedance of the screen supply, and may increase IMD) the
resistor can be paralleled by an RF choke, or you can wind about 30-50
turns of wire on the resistor body.

                           http://www.ifwtech.com/g3sek