[AMPS] Clipperton L amplifier

Tom Rauch W8JI@contesting.com
Thu, 25 Jan 2001 06:32:50 -0500

> >my guess was a sudden overload.  The event was so brief that there
> >was no damage to the outside of the resistor -- even though the
> >resistor element
> > was almost burned out.

The reflector has been down this road before.

I have found hundreds or perhaps thousands of carbon composition
resistors that behaved that way, even when used well bel0ow the
ratings in dc or low-frequency AC circuits. Many others report the
same.

That is why carbon resistors have fallen from favor in critical
applications, especially when in hot environments.

This claim would only be valid if the resistor was measured
immediately before failure and found perfect, that there was a
confirmed VHF oscillation, and that when checked again
immediately after the value changed.

One can not use an "it was off value, so it MUST have been a VHF
parasitic" as proof of the cause of damage. Many things, including
temperature and time, cause carbon resistors to go off value.

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com