[AMPS] Plate Transformer

Peter Chadwick Peter_Chadwick@mitel.com
Wed, 31 Jan 2001 10:43:04 -0000

Stan said:

>Do they normally have oil or any other media for
>cooling purposes?

Some transformers have oil, even quite small ones. I've got one with dual 6.3 at
0.6 amp windings which is oil filled - it's rated for 5kV insulation. But oil is
used for cooling.I've not come across one that you couldn't hear the oil
'sloshing' about in when you shook it though - there is, or should be, an air
space to allow for expansion. If you get the puppy too hot, you can get the
expansion of the oil leading to  the seal bursting if the air space is too
small, or the pressure gets too high. For all practical purposes, the oil is
incompressible.

I've only seen oil filled transfprmers at our sort of power level in military
and some broadcast studio type gear.

73

Peter G3RZP