[AMPS] Emails with the big V

skipp s isaham nospam4me@juno.com
Sat, 21 Jul 2001 18:30:07 -0700

Hello again,
-
This last week, I've received about 8 Emails with
attachments that are made to appear as messages
from "friends" asking to "have a look at the file."
The reply address uses a common name like
Jim Pogamy or similar, nothing special name wise.
-
Each received file has had a different name and
they all have malicious code attached.
-
Traced back to it's source, I've found the sender
is bouncing many of the ones I received through
the netforward.com IP, of which I've taken steps
to notify the abuse@netforward.com
-
I receive a considerable amount of Email, a solid
rule I have is to never even view an unsolicited
attachment.  I delete it and reply to the sender
(even if it's a known friend) to let me know what the
attachment is and the reason for sending it.
-
I deleted and replied in the mentioned fashion
to the address of this last inbound code. There is
an auto answer which spits out to any requests
with an "Answer Email" which appears just as
normal-nice...  a longtime friend. If you Email back
twice, you will get two same answers back.
-
Now I've received the same Email from a different
person to my home nospam4me address, same
deal applies... there's bad code attached.
-
Immediately delete any unexplained attachments,
if you have Norton or equivalent, update your
definitions ASAP.
-
I've examined some of the code and it's really bad
news... the latest version made up to modify the
windows OS and create havoc you don't need.
-
Long live Linux thank you...
cheers
skipp