[AMPS] construction of parasitics

Phil Clements philk5pc@tyler.net
Sun, 22 Jul 2001 09:22:39 -0500

> So,  under fault conditions the ceramic ("cement") resistors are known to
> be prone to arcing/explosion/etc whereas the glass coated resistors are not
> ? (or are less prone ?)

The glass resistor will usually break very cleanly into two pieces.
The "cement" resistors will break into thousands of pieces, and
go all over the place.

If space considerations are not a problem, I install 50-100 watt resistors
in the power supply, chosen to match the shut-down speed of the breakers/
fuses. As stated before, the idea is to end up with no damaged components
and the mains shut off after a glitch.

Eimac has published in great detail how to set up a test to select the proper
value of glitch resistor.
(((73)))
Phil, K5PC