[AMPS] FT100D driving Alpha 87a

Tom Rauch W8JI@contesting.com
Fri, 27 Jul 2001 05:41:27 -0400

> I am using an FT1000D to drive an Alpha 87a, and am thinking of building a
> "DC ALC" circuit to throttle back the juice to 60-80W out whenever the amp
> is in "Operate" mode (because otherwise one day in the heat of battle I
> will forget to reduce the drive power manually and probably cook the
> 3CX800s).

My main rig is an FT1000D.

The FT1000D, unlike many rigs, has reasonably good ALC system.
Mine certainly is fast enough to work well on SSB and CW. There
is only a slight trace of overshoot if I run full drive on CW and back
the RF power off, unlike many rigs that really slap the output hard!

Despite all the fear about ALC, virtually every radio you hear on the
air is using ALC to regulate output power. Next to no one operates
with zero ALC, and most rigs don't even allow you to reduce drive
except by the ALC loop.

73, Tom W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com