[AMPS] 50~ vs 60~ ???

2 2@vc.net
Sat, 2 Jun 2001 05:59:39 -0700

>Uwe is right.
>
>I lived in Moscow 2 1/2 years and Budapest 4 years and managed to cook the
>original plate transformer in a Henry 2K during a contest, even with a fan
>running on it.  It grunted a LOT.  Replaced it with a heavily rated Peter
>Dahl xfmr and no problems.  The voltages will be ok, it's just that the
>cores
>tend to saturate if you draw a lot of current from the xfmr.  Limit your
>current and you should be OK.

/\  The I^2R heating in 60-Hz transformers that are operated on 50Hz
comes primarily from the primary.  The two fixes are:  reduce the primary
v. proportionately. or add turns to the primary.  Decreasing the
secondary current will not make much difference in heating.

later, Mike

>--
>FAQ on WWW:               http://www.contesting.com/FAQ/amps

-  R. L. Measures, 805.386.3734, www.vcnet.com/measures.