[AMPS] Six Meter Amp Question

Jon Ogden na9d@mindspring.com
Thu, 01 Mar 2001 06:50:49 -0600

Hi all,

It's been quite a while since I've posted anything on AMPS, but I need some
help on this one.

I have an opportunity to purchase an SB-230 that was converted by KM1H to
six meters.  It uses the conduction cooled 8873.  The asking price by the
current owner is $400.

I was talking to a guy from my local contest club about it and he said that
the problem with the 8873 is that you can't get replacements.  He said as
well the fact that its conduction cooled really limits the dissipation and
you get a lot less out than you would with say an amp using an 8874.

I am looking for multiple opinions.  Is this an a good deal or should I pass
it up?  Is it modifiable for some other tube should the 8873 go bad?

Thanks and 73,

Jon
NA9D

Jon Ogden