[AMPS] Problem with Ameritron AL-82

Bert Barry kimba@sprint.ca
Sun, 25 Mar 2001 21:00:20 -0500

Michael Tope wrote:

> In my case, I think the problem may be hot switching as Tom described since
> the symptoms are very consistent and on several occasions I did notice the
> FT-1000D's SWR meter spiking on the initial key closure (it only did this once
> or twice out of many tries). If hot switching is a problem, does anyone know a
> way to speed up the FT-1000D relay closure relative the onset of the
> transceiver's RF envelope?

Mike,  I'd be willing to bet that the problem is not the FT-1000 relay switching
speed, but rather a high resistance contact somewhere between the relay and the
amplifier, slowing down the response of the amplifier's TR switch.  I will bet on
the relay pins where they are soldered into the PC board, or as Tom suggested, the
relay switch.  Try measuring the resistance at the phono plug with an ohmmeter while
jiggling the phono plug. If it's ever more than an ohm or so, that's your problem.
Also, don't overlook the phono plug and jack themselves, as was pointed out in
another post.

Good luck.

Bert,  VE3QAA