[AMPS] Problem with Ameritron AL-82

Bert Barry kimba@sprint.ca
Mon, 26 Mar 2001 08:11:12 -0500

measures wrote:

> Don't use a relay.  A npn transistor does a faster switch than a relay.
> See Figure 7 on my Web site.  See article on TS-440 circuit improvements.

I don't see the need for a a modification to the FT-1000D circuit board, when a
simple re-flowing of solder joints and/or cleaning of the relay switch contacts will
cure the problem.  The relay in the FT-1000 is quite fast enough for the alpha 87,
and I have never had a problem with hot switching in 5 years that could be traced to
the relay itself.  The problem was always (three times) a high resistance or open
circuit in the path between the relay and the amplifier.

Bert,  VE3QAA