[AMPS] TL-922 problem

William F. Hagen whagen@inreach.com
Fri, 30 Mar 2001 18:28:20 -0800

Hi alland Mr. Measures, I am following up on my last post of this
problem. I have since recieved the service manual for the TL-922, and
comparing the schematics for the 922 and 922a, there are of course the
differences of the 10 meter mod.
However, there is also a difference in the 160M tank circuit, and for
the tL-922a there is shown capacitors # C79 and C80, both 10pF 6KV,
connected to C44 at the bandswitch. These two capacitors are not shown
on the TL-922 schematic, nor are they mentioned as being removed in the
10 Meter mod process as given on Mr. Measures's web page.
Also, in my amplifier, which has the 10 meter mod done to it, both
capacitors are present, not to mention c45, which was moved from its
original place and added parallel with 44,79,80.
In preparation to repair the unit, I would like to know if the schematic
in the service manual is the correct one, without C79,80, and with c45
in its rightful spot, or is there a preferred configuration.
ie,
option 1
remove c79,80, remove burnt c45 in the wrong place, and put c45 back
where it belongs, as per schematic in service manual TL-922.
option 2
leave c79,80, remove burnt c45 in the wrong spot, and replace c45 in the
right location as per schematic TL-922a and Measures's 10M mod info.
option 3
leave c79,80, replace burnt c45 in wrong spot, replace c45 in the right
spot.
option 4
leave c79,80, replace burnt c45 in the wrong spot, leave out c45 in the
right spot.

I am leaning towards option 1, as that is as Kenwood gives the circuit
for the TL-922 with 10 meter capabilities, however, any and all opinions
are greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance, and thanks for all previous replies,
William F. Hagen
kc6ufe