[AMPS] Reading material?

Phil (VA3UX) phil@vaxxine.com
Sun, 06 May 2001 14:45:40 -0400

At 10:13 AM 5/6/2001 -0400, Eric Lowell wrote:

>Gents,
>
>I plan to construct a legal limit HF amplifier at some point in the future
>and I am finding out how much I don't know.
>
>Does anyone have a recommended reading list?

In addition to Rich's recommendation (Care and Feeding, plus his website),
the following texts are useful :

Ian White's website  (  http://www.ifwtech.com/g3sek/index.htm   )

SSB Principles and Circuits, by Papenfus, Bruene and Schoenike

Radio Engineering, by F.E. Terman (3rd or 4th editions preferred)

ARRL Handbooks

ARRL SSB Principles for the Radio Amateur

Radio Handbook, by Bill Orr

Radio Transmitters, by Graham and Gray

RCA Transmitting Tube Handbooks (TT-3, TT-4 or TT-5)

Eimac Bulletins - selected bulletins on amateur amplifers

Plus, various amplifier construction articles from QST, Ham Radio.  The
only potential pitfall with some of the articles is that many of them
describe physical/electrical construction of the amp but usually little
theory or calculations.  In copying some of the designs you may
inadvertently copy a mistake or poor descision in design made by the
author.  You should question some of the published designs.

There really is no "amateur radio linear amplifer handbook" that covers
everything, although Bill Orr's Radio Handbook comes close.  Be aware that
as good as Bill's stuff is (was), there are a few pitfalls to be avoided in
his work too.  I don't recall them all but some of the people on this
reflector know about them and can advise.

Phil