[AMPS] Self oscillation with homebrew 3-1000Z ????

measures 2@vc.net
Mon, 7 May 2001 19:05:22 -0700

>Rich said: "I would bypass the high-tech research, cut to the chase, and try
>a lower
>Rp suppressor".    This was in response to a method of scientific approach
>to parasitic oscillation suppression.
>
>I suppose I should not comment on someone else's view, but it seems rather
>sad to reject science and resort to a magic potion.  Half of the joy of
>amatuer radio is the process of investigation and learning.  By using a
>"guaranteed cure all Measures Parasitic Suppressor", I learn nothing.

€  The low Rp suppressor is not a cure-all.  Lower Rp means less VHF
gain.  If Rp is not low enough,  oscillations are still  likely.

>Even if it works, I am short-changed.

€  IMO, a dipmeter is a good tool for locating the resonant circuit that
is supporting the parasitic.  A fairly good place to start is on either
side of the blocking capacitor.  note-- pull mains plug first.

>I use an approach similar to the one mentioned.  And, I figure every failure
>makes me that much smarter than the guy who has not failed.  Every problem
>is an opportunity to investigate.  And, every success bring with it the
>knowledge that I understand the amplifier and am master of it.  For that
>reason, if for no other, I reject the "Vitamin Rp" pill.

€  Higher Rp means higher VHF amplification - just the ticket for
building an oscillator.

cheers Colin

end