[AMPS] UPDATE ON 3-1000Z OSCILLATION

Tom Rauch W8JI@contesting.com
Thu, 10 May 2001 14:27:34 -0400

> from the output.  I remember the shielding used to isolate the input
> from output was much greater than most present day linear amplifiers.
> First hand experience taught me it was better to design it right in
> the first place from an isolation standpoint than to retro fit it with
> shields made from old tin cans.

Gain in a 6AK5 grounded cathode amplifier is much higher than a
typical GG amplifier. Isolation of input and output is more important
when gain is higher.

> It is tempting to tell ourselves that the amplifier is grounded grid
> and bypass good construction techniques because feedback is less of a
> problem. The fact that parasitic oscillations are still with us is
> proof that grounded grid is not a cure all or excuse for sloppy design
> and construction.

The problems with oscillations in a power amplifier are virtually all
rooted in the physically large tube, and mostly center around the
grid structure inside the tube and the length of leads to get outside
the envelope of the tube to the chassis.

A high-power amplifier is clearly much different than a high-gain
small-signal device.

> Uhf amplifiers rarely have parasitic problems, yet use no parasitic
> suppressors.  That should tell us something about good design.  We
> should probably review a few uhf designs before building  our next
> amplifier and save a few headaches.

The most stable tubes are tubes that are useful at high
frequencies, assuming grid leads are kept short. The most difficult
tubes to stabilize are almost always tubes that have low maximum
frequencies of operation.

That's why the 8877 is so easy to stabilize, and tubes like 811A's
or 3-1000Z's are more difficult. If we look carefully, we see it is
tubes with long thin grid leads that are most troublesome. They are
often unstable no matter what the layout, because at some
frequency the grid has a very high impedance to ground no matter
how we ground the grid.

In that case, we need to make sure the anode (or some other
element) does not have a similar resonance.

At HF...it takes a very poor layout for external feedback to be an
issue, because most of the feedback is directly from anode to grid.
The most important thing is grounding the grid as best as possible,
and keeping the length of the anode connection short so we can
control the impedance in the anode easily.

73, Tom W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com