[AMPS] Conjugate Matching In Class B and C Amplifiers

Peter Chadwick Peter_Chadwick@mitel.com
Mon, 14 May 2001 08:43:00 +0100

I've always had a conceptual problem with the idea of 'non-dissipative
resistance', which tends to put me into the Bruene camp. When you consider a
power bipolar transistor, it's 'output impedance' although lower than a small
signal one (derived from the Early voltage) is still higher than the 'optimum
load' for given output power. I know the argument has been about tubes, but it
shouldn't make any difference what the generator is. If it does, then the
argument has fallacies.

I have suspicion that in my case, the problem derives from my misunderstanding
of the model......

On behalf of Warren Bruene, one mustn't forget that he has had a long,
successful and very distinguished career at Collins designing transmitters of
all sorts, and can truly be said to be experienced in the art. That's in
addition to his writings, which go back over many years.

However, at the end of the day, I can't see any more applicability of the
argument than the  mediaeval one of how many angels can get on the head of a
pin.

73

Peter G3RZP