[AMPS] EER Amplifier Technique

Radio WC6W wc6w@juno.com
Wed, 16 May 2001 11:58:19 -0700

On Wed, 16 May 2001 14:12:51 +0200 Michel Asorne
<michel@ihf.rwth-aachen.de> writes:

>Hi everybody,
>
>I am invertigating on a technique called "Envelope Elimination and
Restoration"
>(EER), a higly efficient RF amplifying method developed in the 50s by L.
Kahn.
>Unfortunately I was not able to find too much information and only a few
>implementation examples. I would be glad for every hint concerning the
EER
>subject, books or papers, schematcs ...
>
>Tnx es 73 de Michel DL/LX1NW
>
>--
>Michel Asorne <michel@ihf.rwth-aachen.de>
>Tel: +49-241-9801034
>Fax: +49-241-9801035

Hi Michel,
   One of my favorite... hobbies.

  There is the original reference, "Single Sideband Transmission by
Envelope Elimination and Restoration" by Leonard Kahn -- pp 803-806
Proceedings of the IRE, July 1952

  A follow up article, "Comparison of Linear Single Sideband Transmitters
with Envelope Elimination and Restoration Single Sideband Transmitters",
by Kahn-- pp 1706-1712 Proceedings of the IRE, December 1956

  An article "The Envelope Elimination and Restoration Transmission
System for SSB"  by William Orr -- p14 CQ magazine, October 1972

  A mention of the technique in "High Efficiency RF Power Amplifiers" by
Frederick Raab -- pp 8-29 Ham Radio, October 1974

  And a more contemporary article "Class-S High Efficiency Amplitude
Modulator" by Raab -- pp 70-74 RF Design, May 1994  which also lists a
number of modern references.

  You may also be interested in another technique for increased
efficiency in a Class C stage described in a "New High-Efficiency 5KW AM
Transmitter" by J.R. Skarbek -- pp8-13, Broadcast News, March 1960.

  Is this just research?   Or are you thinking of building one?? :-)

73,
  Marv  WC6W

*

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!