[AMPS] Voltage Doublers...thanks for the info.

Peter Frenning, OZ1PIF oz1pif@get2net.dk
Thu, 17 May 2001 10:16:44 +0200

Hi Glenn and AMPS folks,

The Yaesu power supply that you are referring to has got to be the
FL2000/2100 voltage doubler supply, with which I'm intimately familiar.
I have an old FL2000B, which is now an FL2000/QB (if you want to know what
that is, read on....).

Secondary resistance is 19.5 Ohms! apparentlly  with no ill effects. The
transformer is rated at 850Watts. Later models (FL2100xx) use the same core
for HV as well as filament/utility, "stealing" some 60W from B+! FL2000B has
a separate filament/utility voltage transformer, leaving the entire core
capacity for B+)

When I performed the change from the /B to the /QB suffix (Out  went the
572Bs and in a single QB4/1100 - yes it is possible!), I also wired the
primary so as  to get the highest possible secondary voltage, the two 100V
primary in series fed from our 230V net. yielding approx. 950V secondary (No
load). resulting B+  is 2830V (no load); 2750V idling; and 2450-2500V at
700W+ out (400mA)

Of cause the nearly 30 years old caps didn't last long at this, and I had to
find replacement that would fit into the rather cramped space! I went for 8
x 220uF/400VWV, that would fit into the same space as three of the old caps,
in the process I gained an increase in capacity from 12.5uF to 27.5uF, which
in my opinion has made the B+ regulation a lot better and the power supply
much stiffer. Alas, should the big bang happen then......... Buyer beware!
 i have put in a current limiting resistor in B+)

Vy 73 de OZ1PIF, Peter

Sound clips from OX2K operation "off the air":
http://hjem.get2net.dk/oz1pif/OX2K-sound.htm

email: oz1pif(no-spam-filler)@get2net.dk
http://hjem.get2net.dk/oz1pif
Shack Ph. +45 4619 3208