[AMPS] OK smart guys...Generator frequency regulation query....

Bob Duckworth wb4mnf@atl.org
Mon, 21 May 2001 07:30:14 -0400

OK smart (power systems) guys..

Generator, speced at 60Hz at 3600RPM
I can control prime mover speed to nominal 3600 but what
about fine tune? field doesn't need much current, can I rotate
field (electronically)

Lets say I have a fixed load.
Do field current requirements change with speed for a
constant current, or is it just the required torque (to keep
input power constant) that changes?

At the extreme, generator not turning, all the power transferred
must come from the field. So, I can see that at the extreme, I'd
be limited by the field current limitations of the generator.
This would suggest that I'd have to derate if only spinning at 3000
RPM (50Hz) with the coill spinning at 600RPM (to get me back
up to 60Hz) Is this so? How much to derate.

OTOH
What if I'm spinning at 6000 RPM (100Hz) and spin coil in opposite
direction to bring back down to 60Hz. Do I still have to derate?

-bob