[AMPS] dip meter at Dayton

2 2@vc.net
Thu, 24 May 2001 07:13:48 -0700

>-
>Hi Rich,
>-
>No, I didn't have a dip meter with me,

€  tnx, Skipp.    My Kenwood dipmeter will fit in my belt-bag, so I would
have brought it.

>but I was interested
>to see a few different approaches to suppressor construction.
>Many mfgrs used classic strap around resistor units
>(strap material unknown) ...

€  even Ni-Cr strap has too much Rp for most ham amplifiers.   For
c.1500w amplifiers, resistance wire delivers the lowest Rp.

>... and some mfgrs used small
>populated pc boards in the anode leads.
>-
>I was also surprised to see a lot of very light gauge
>anode/plate chokes with stepped (staggered) windings.
>-
€  If they had bothered to compare a stepped-choke with a similar
straight-solenoid choke, they would have discovered - as I did - that the
resonances are virtually identical.
End to end is not the best way to decouple solenoid inductances.

cheers, Skipp.