[AMPS] Sucking instead of Blowing (was - This guy is gotta be kidding!)

2 2@vc.net
Sun, 27 May 2001 16:07:13 -0700

>2 wrote:

>>>Can you remind us where the markings are in those two amps, for each of
>>>the tubes, in relation to the 'upstream' side? (Just wondering how much
>>>difference that makes.)
>>>
>>’วจ  Blow air on one side of a cylinder and it flows smoothly around the
>>cylinder.  Thus, it does not matter where the ink is placed on the glass.
>> Have you tried blowing out a candle with a cylinder betwixt your lips
>>and the flame?
>
>Yes, I'm aware that happens - but what that party trick demonstrates is
>that at *low* velocities the airflow remains attached to the surface and
>flows smoothly around it to join up again at the far side.
>
>Unfortunately that isn't at all relevant to forced-air cooling, where
>the airflow is very turbulent and the flow pattern is quite different.

€  fasten seatbelts

>Air is blasted at the upstream side of the tube, cooling it well, but
>the flow breaks away from the surface half-way around to form a
>turbulent wake.

€  Not with the quiet, slow speed fan in a SB-220, Ian..

>The downstream side is only cooled by eddies in the
>wake, and there may even be negative pressure on the opposite side.
>
>There is absolutely no doubt that cooling is less good on the downstream
>side.

€  The  colour of the ink on the 3-500Z glass does not indicate this.

 >The only questions are: how much less good, and does it matter?
>That's why I was looking for separate evidence whether the color of the
>markings is dependent on the orientation of the tube.

€  Denial of reality - the greatest glitch in the human psyche. Alas.

-  R. L. Measures, 805.386.3734, www.vcnet.com/measures.
end