[AMPS] Power problems on 10/15 Meters HF2500

2 2@vc.net
Sun, 4 Nov 2001 05:50:01 -0800

>Hi Rich,
>
>What happens if you put the exciter in transmit mode by closing the
>PTT line prior to applying RF?

Depemds on how the radio is keyed.  If the keying is done by a mic, PTT,
an FT-1000 transmits RF from the mechanical noise of the PTT switch 5mS
after the PTT switch closes.

>We had a similar problem using the
>FT-1000D driving an Ameritron AL-82 (slow buildup from a few
>hundred watts to full output) over at the local club station. When I
>would close PTT line prior to sending the leading dit with a keyer,
>there was no problem (in this case the amplifier T/R relay closes long
>before the RF arrives). I suspect the T/R relay on the Ameritron was
>hot switching due to the slow contact closure from the FT-1000D.

To see what's what, one needs a dual trace oscilloscope.

>During the hot switching, a large pulse of reflected power is seen by
>the protection circuits on the exciter, causing it to fold back (it thinks
>its looking into a high VSWR).

Makes pretty good sense to me.

>If this is your problem, then you may
>need some way to speed up the contact closure on the Commander's
>T/R relay. Its funny that it doesn't happen on 160-20, but this could be
>related to the length of the cable between the rig and the amp and how
>your exciter's protection circuits respond to different impedances.

Agreed.

>Try manually closing the amp T/R by using the PTT function on your
>rig, or a shorting plug on the amp's control line. If you still get
>foldback,
>then you may have another problem.

If an amplifier switches slower than c. 3mS, there is likely to be a
problem with a 5mS radio like the FT-1000.  The fix is to update the
amplifier with higher-speed switching.

cheers

-  R. L. Measures, 805.386.3734,AG6K, www.vcnet.com/measures.
end