[AMPS] another myth on EMF

2 2@vc.net
Mon, 5 Nov 2001 13:20:21 -0800

>I am reluctant to wade in on a discussion such as this, but
>as most of you know, the methodology of doing these types of
>correlations is very prone to error.
>
>And as proof, I offer one quick story.  My late partner was
>program director for Aeronomy (upper atmospheric physics)
>at the National Science Foundation and he told me the following
>story.  NSF funded a study to look at the increased incidence
>of cancer around nuclear power plants and saw a small but
>significant increase.  To better benchmark their results they
>then studied cancer around PROPOSED nuclear power plants
>and also found a significant increase.  It would appear that
>just THINKING about installing a nuclear power plant will
>increase the incidence of cancer in the area under consideration.
>Obviously that is not correct--but rather the methodology was
>flawed.

//  Without an explanation of how it was flawed, your explanation is want.

>So I am reluctant to believe ANY tests that show any of these
>types of issues without being able to review the actual experiment
>and understand the methodology.  People often find what they
>want to find, even without "fudging" the data.  Unconscious biases
>or poorly designed experiments, looking at effects that are extremely
>small, are prone to questionable results.
>
>And to tie this into the amp reflector, I feel that there are similar
>sorts of questions about parasitics, gold balls, etc.  I just don't
>believe everything I read.  And I take my sources into account.

//    I too was a bit skeptical when, in 1986, Eimac's Mr. W.B. Foote
told me about gold evaporation/gold-meltballs because I knew that it took
an incredible amount of energy to boil gold.   However, when I autopsied
my first 8877 with this malady and looked at the cathode through a 30x
microscope, I saw a landscape littered with thousands of gold meltballs.
  Foote had indeed not put his foot in his mouth.   If you are interested
in seeing gold meltballs, there's a photo of some, and the 8877 from
whence they came, at Figure 24 on my Web site.
-   During the Grate Parasitics Debate, the idea that parasites might be
triggered by high energy photons from space was ridiculed extensively by
one our amplifier "experts".  According to NASA, the 386 microprocessor
is still being used on new space hardware because its larger architecture
- than state of the art Pentium processors - makes it less vulnerable to
glitches from high energy photons that pass through the die.

cheers, John

-  R. L. Measures, 805.386.3734,AG6K, www.vcnet.com/measures.
end