[AMPS] Thunderbolt questions

2 2@vc.net
Tue, 6 Nov 2001 09:42:28 -0800

>> At 07:11 AM 11/6/01 -0500, you wrote:
>> >Damned bean counters kept that amp from being a real barn burner.
>>
>> A very unfair comment.  The rules changed long after that amp was
>built.
>> When that amp was built the legal limit was 1000watts average plate
>input
>> power.
>
>Perhaps a wee bit unfair to the MBAs.  8*)
>
>Rules?  Brings back memories of the endless debates back in the late
>'50s over the definition of PEP and how you could measure it and whether
>we were permitted to run 2KW PEP.

//  Amen to that.  Meanwhile, in days of yore, AM had a limit of c. 3kW
PEP output.  FCC rules could be described as Looneytunes.

>> Today in some modes to get the 1500 watts PEP output power amps have to run
>> 2000 watts (75% efficiency Class -C) and even up to 2500 watts (for less
>> efficient ones Class AB) average plate input power.
>>
>> 73
>> Bill wa4lav
>
>Legal considerations aside, it was an anemic amp compared to the "barn
>burners" I was competing with at the time.

//    Amen to that,  Ken.  Over the years, word slowly trickled out that
more than a few of the top dogs in the DX and contesting world used tubes
as big around as fireplace logs.    At the risk of being boring, my pal
in the FCC told me that many of concerned amateur radio operators who
wrote to the FCC and complained about the "Plywood Box" amplifier were
known to use the same tetrode with handles.

cheers

-  R. L. Measures, 805.386.3734,AG6K, www.vcnet.com/measures.
end