[AMPS] SB221 Tuned input Question

RMead100@aol.com RMead100@aol.com
Mon, 12 Nov 2001 11:18:53 EST

Greetings

Allow me to display [some of] my ignorance here. Is the tuned input circuit in these amplifiers for the benefit of the driving transceiver to allow it to see the proper impedance, or is it to act as an attenuator for out of band sporadic or impure emissions for the benefit of the amp?

My question arises because I have an sb 221 which I have had sitting around for a while after buying it from the son of an SK. The builder did not build it to spec, as he left out the CB filter, the ALC circuitry, and the relay. Looking yesterday at the rf input, he took it past all the tuned input circuitry and straight to the final tube, through one cap. My plan is to correct all this, but his method got me to wondering about the tuned input

Would the amp perform OK in this configuration or would you be likely to create some damage?  I plan to change it anyway, but am curious about the answer.

Thanks and 73
Randy K8BUX